Earlier this week, I threw down the gauntlet and collectively challenged you to identify 32 comic book characters with the word "black" somewhere in their name. Some were good guys, some were bad guys...some were ridiculously easy to guess, while others weren't guessed by anybody! Mwah ha haaaa!
Well, a small army of you took up the challenge and sent me your guesses. After combing through them like a teacher carefully correcting tests, we've got a winner!
Tobey Cook of Bremerton, Washington (and the Cosmic Rants blog) got an amazing 28 out of the 32 black-themed characters. Congratulations, Tobey! Your free mug from my Secret Identity shop is on its way!
Thanks to everyone who participated...I hope you had fun! I'll try to put together some more comics-themed challenges for you in the months to come.
Oh, and last but not least,
here's the official answer key to
1. Black Widow: Blast! I didn't fool anyone with her old costume! Originally an Iron-Man foe, now a bonafide Marvel hero.
2. Black Terror: A Golden Age superhero published by Nedor Comics, but eventually passing into the public domain. He will be appearing in Superpowers, an upcoming Alex Ross project for Dynamite Comics.
3. Black Mamba: Marvel supervillain. Member of the Serpent Society.
4. Black Hood: Vigilante hero published by DC under its short-lived Impact imprint.
5. Black Tarantula: Spider-Man villain.
6. Black Orchid: Mysterious DC superheroine.
7. Black Lightning: DC's first African American superhero in his original costume.
8. Blackout: Supervillain of Nova.
9. Black Condor: Originally a flying superhero published by Quality Comics, now owned by DC.
10. Black Talon: Voodoo-themed Marvel supervillain.
11. Black Cat: Golden Age superheroine published by Harvey Comics.
12. Blackhawk: Ace WWII pilot and leader of the Blackhawk Squadron. Like Black Condor, originally a Quality Comics character who now appears in DC Comics.
13. Black Panther: Marvel's (and comics') first black superhero.
14. Blacklash: Whip-wielding Iron-Man villain.
15. Black Knight: Swashbuckling Marvel superhero.
16. Black Canary: DC superheroine and soon-to-be Mrs. Green Arrow.
17. Black Swan: Marvel supervillain.
18. Black Racer: The New God personification of Death, as envisioned by Jack Kirby.
19. Black Spider: Batman villain.
20. Black Cobra: Golden Age superhero published by Ajax/Farrell publications.
21. Black Adam: Evil opposite number of Captain Marvel.
22. Black Goliath: Size-changing Marvel superhero.
23. Black Thorn: DC Comics vigilante heroine.
24. Black Bolt: Marvel superhero, leader of the Inhumans.
25. Black Manta: Arch-enemy of Aquaman.
26. Black Alice: DC Comics anti-hero.
27. Black Flash: The personification of death for DC Comics super-speedsters.
28. Blackbriar Thorn: Villainous DC Comics sorcerer.
29. Blackfire: Evil sister of the Teen Titans' Starfire.
30. Black Bison: Native American villain of the original Firestorm.
31. Blacksmith: Flash supervillain.
32. Black Zero: Kryptonian terrorist responsible for Krypton's destruction.
Whew! There you have it!